[BRLTTY] Baum SuperVario/Brailliant battery charging

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Dec 18 22:08:14 EST 2006

Does anyone on the list happen to know how the battery charging process works
on the Baum SuperVario (aka Brailliant) displays?

I have selected USB charging in the configuration menu. Does the charging take
place while the display is in use, or only after the idle timer has expired? I
notice that when the idle timer does expire, if the computer is still running
and the battery isn't fully charged (as it isn't on my display, which is a new
unit that just arrived this week), the display says:
Charging... hh:mm
where hh:mm is the number of hours/minutes since the display was switched on.
According to /proc/bus/usb/devices the display is set to receive a maximum of
100MA over the USB bus. Is this normal, or should it be requesting more?
Presumably the charging process would be quicker if I connected the external
power supply. How do you normally operate your units - do you just select USB
charging and let it maintain its battery automatically, or do you connect the
power supply periodically? I am assuming that Linux will handle any power
requests from the display correctly, as this is basic, standardized, USB
functionality.

Obviously, when using Bluetooth it will need periodic charging, best provided
by the external power supply.