[BRLTTY] BrailleNote Baud Rate

GUI Access guiaccess at covad.net
Thu Jan 26 21:10:06 EST 2006

At 1:47 PM -0500 1/26/2006, Dave Mielke wrote:
>[quoted lines by GUI Access on 2006/01/26 at 07:28 -0800]
>
>>It appears as though the brltty BrailleNote driver assumes a baud
>>rate of 38400.  When in Terminal mode, do all BrailleNotes assume
>>this baud rate?  Does anyone on the list have experience using a
>>five-year-old BrailleNote?  I am unable to access the device under
>>wUNIX.
>
>Can you tell us which model you have and what the software revision is?

The software is KeySoft 3.0.3 (February 2001).  This is an old
machine; beyond that I don't know which "model" this is.

On a related note, does anyone have info on how one can use the
BrailleNote as a speech synthesizer?  I can actually send text to the
device when in this mode at 9600 baud, and speech is produced.  I
started experimenting by sending control chars to the device to see
what would happen and it caused the device to stop producing speech
altogether; turning the unit off and then back on didn't cure the
problem.  A hard reset was needed.

So, are there codes to send the synth to cause its
voice/pitch/volume/rate to be changed?

And then my original problem:  Do older BrailleNotes expect/use lower
baud rates than 38400 for their Braille terminals?  I'm still
surprised brltty hard codes 38400 unless no one has ever tried a unit
as old as this.

Thanks,

GUI Access