[BRLTTY] key problems on Alva Satellite 544 with brltty 3.7.2

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Oct 3 11:45:17 EDT 2006

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2006/10/03 at 11:19 -0400]

>If a feature wasn't useful, people wouldn't use it and therefore wouldn't
>be used to it.

Yes, and no. Sometimes users ask for one thing when, in fact, something else
which they haven't thought of does a better job. For example:

>Actually, repeated horizontal panning across blank areas
>occurs most often on web pages, where something may be preceded by many
>blank lines and then be further to the right than even 2 or 3 display
>lengths.

That's why brltty has "skip identical lines" and "skip blank windows".

>Another thing that probably contributes to it is that I always use
>screens wider than 80 characters (and my display is 40 characters anyway).

You can get exactly what you want here by turning on the "skip blank windows"
toggle and by setting "skip blank windows mode" to "rest of line".

>If I come to a big blank area on a screen I have to bang the advance key
>fast enough that I still overshoot when I come to text and still have to
>backtrack - it's just more work getting there in the first place.

Not at all if you use the "skip blank windows" feature. It'd be much more
accurate, in fact, and wouldn't require any backtracking at all.

>That's my 2 mills worth and if it isn't convincing then it never will be.

Can you convince me that the needs you've expressed are better handled by
unpredictable horizontal autorepeats and backtracking than by the very
predictable, accurate, and much faster skip blank windows feature?