[BRLTTY] key problems on Alva Satellite 544 with brltty 3.7.2

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Oct 4 00:03:34 EDT 2006

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Dave Mielke wrote:

> That's why brltty has "skip identical lines" and "skip blank windows".

When I first set up BRLTTY, I turned both of these options on, and I
prefer to leave them on unless there is a special reason, temporarily, to
turn them off.

As a BRLTTY user, it is a good idea to review all of the options in the
preferences menu, set them as you wish, then save the results.

While we're discussing window movement, the old DOS software for Baum
displays allowed the user to remap all of the commands as desired. I used
to configure the first and last ten optical sensors above the braille line
to activate the "previous window" and "next window" commands,
respectively. It was thus possible to move the display without moving
one's hands from the display area. With more recent displays that provide
cursor routing buttons rather than optical sensors, this wouldn't be so
convenient, however, since the user would still have to press one of the
routing buttons. With the optical sensors, just moving lightly across a
sensor is enough to generate an activation. Although this is an advantage
in the situation just described, it can also be a disadvantage, as it is
so easy to cause unwanted activations. That's why Dave and I agreed that
an option to turn off the optical sensors be included in the Baum driver,
and mapped to braille display switch settings.