[BRLTTY] key problems on Alva Satellite 544 with brltty 3.7.2

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Wed Oct 4 08:55:08 EDT 2006

Hi Dave,

As a person who has used autorepeat panning for 15+ years I am very
comfortable with it. I find it far less unpredictable than the skipping of n
blank windows (0<n<infinity for an unpredictable n).

Literature is written in paragraphs so there are not large amounts of blank
areas there. Web pages are written with text and pictures and perhaps other
design factors taken into account and that is where you get large amounts of
blank space. I've used skipping of blank windows on occasion, but so seldom
I don't remember the keys and have to use the preference menu. When I have
not use the PM display for awhile I have to relearn the keys to skip between
attributes in the Mutt spell checker.

Observe: In brltty there are keys to skip blank windows, skip between
attributes, skip for different content, skip to previous prompt. That's 7
keys (2 in each direction except for prompts) that differ from display to
display. That's a lot of chicken tracks; they're logical once you learn them
but you have to learn them and use them enough to remember them. Contrast
that with 2 keys, forward and back, that you hold down until you feel like
releasing them. That's predictable and it doesn't impact the others in the
least.

Scott seems to have an entirely different problem. There is no auto panning
on the PM except rolling the wheels which will do it. I don't remember how I
managed to get autorepeat panning for the PM one time, but I found it a
disadvantage because it interfered with some of the multi-key commands
(don't remember any details). It sounds to me like Scott has a hardware
problem. My buttons are completely reliable except those that are physically
defective. That's a different subject and I wish we were close enough
together to have a face-to-face.

--
Lee Maschmeyer
<lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu>