[BRLTTY] GPM open error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Nicolas Pitre nico at cam.org
Wed Aug 22 11:36:06 EDT 2007

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Keith Wessel on 2007/08/22 at 10:05 -0500]
>
> >GPM isn't writing anything to syslog when I start it (/etc/init.d/gpm
> >start... and now added to my default runlevel for automatic start-up at
> >boot). But I do see it in the process table, so it is, in fact, running, or
> >at least faking it very nicely. ;)
>
> What does "/etc/init.d/gpm status" say?
>
> >I'm running brltty 3.8, so I should have the latest and greatest.
>
> Well ... we're almost at 3.8.1 ... we developers always have something newer up
> our sleeves so that we can always tell the users that they aren't running the
> latest. :-) There's nothing new in 3.8.1 which should impact this, though.

BTW I have those annoying messages about GPM in my syslog too, and have
had them for a long time.  I just never could be bothered to find and
fix the source of them.  And I'm running the very latest BRLTTY version
at the moment.

Currently I get lots of:

Aug 22 10:35:49 xanadu brltty[27884]: GPM open error: No such file or directory
Aug 22 10:36:24 xanadu last message repeated 7 times
Aug 22 10:37:29 xanadu last message repeated 13 times
Aug 22 10:38:34 xanadu last message repeated 13 times
Aug 22 10:39:39 xanadu last message repeated 13 times

GPM is indeed _not_ running, and I don't see why I should be running it
as I don't make any use of it, just to get rid of those messages.

Nicolas