[BRLTTY] GPM open error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Aug 22 11:27:06 EDT 2007

[quoted lines by Keith Wessel on 2007/08/22 at 10:05 -0500]

>GPM isn't writing anything to syslog when I start it (/etc/init.d/gpm
>start... and now added to my default runlevel for automatic start-up at
>boot). But I do see it in the process table, so it is, in fact, running, or
>at least faking it very nicely. ;)

What does "/etc/init.d/gpm status" say?

>I'm running brltty 3.8, so I should have the latest and greatest.

Well ... we're almost at 3.8.1 ... we developers always have something newer up
our sleeves so that we can always tell the users that they aren't running the
latest. :-) There's nothing new in 3.8.1 which should impact this, though.

>There's no "pointer follows window" option in the menu as a result.

Good. It's always easier to figure things out when a current release is being
used.

>Is there any more verbose logging I can turn on to see what's causing this
>error?

You can try running brltty with -ldebug.