[BRLTTY] The Baum driver should *NOT* claim a TSI display!

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sun Aug 26 08:20:10 EDT 2007

Jason White <jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au> writes:

>> Does the Baum driver really have to claim a 80 cell PowerBraille?
>
> I think this is a bug that should be fixed. Perhaps the Baum driver should
> skip checking for TSI and Handytech protocols if the display is connected via
> a serial interface and the manufacturer is being auto-detected.

One other alternative would be to introduce a braille driver parameter
to enable compatibility to other display types in the Baum driver, and set it
to off by default.  This way, a user that is using the compatibility modes
of a Vario could enable this easily in his/her config file,
and the other users would be protected from false-positives by default.

>> AFAIR, the compatibility mode is for the Vario 40 models,
>> that display only has 40 cells by default.  Can we perhaps
>> make the baum driver ignore 80 cell TSI displays at least?
>
> I'm sure that 80-cell SuperVario displays have PowerBraille protocol support
> as well, so this isn't the right solution.

Yes, after I sent the mail I remembered that I was once using
a Vario 80 which also had the compatibility modes.
--
CYa,
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'