[BRLTTY] Contraction error: Caledonia

Keith Wessel kwessel at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 27 14:51:47 EDT 2007

My father (who some of you have seen on some of the other blindness-related
lists, Verle Wessel) worked with APH and others in writing the braille
teaching manuals. I asked for his input on this, and my suspicions were
correct... It's a sylable-based rule. Contractions can't bridge between two
sylables. Below is his detailed response. Unfortunately, this would be a
tricky one to write programmatically, I'm afraid.

My father wrote:
I am a little rusty in my old age, but I believe there is a rule that says
you should not use a contraction crossing over two syllables.  So the debate
is not so much about contractionizing as it is about syllabification.  In
most cases when the O follows the Ed sound, it is accented indicating that
is a separate syllable in itself.  Words like speedometer and pedometer are
fairly obvious.  The word fedora has 3 syllables fed-o-ra with the O most
pronounced.  Now is you were in England Caledonia would be written in four
syllables as cal-ed-o-ni-a, but If you are in America it woule be written in
3 syllables cal-ed-o-ya.  In the word predominant the letters pre make up
one syllable in itself, and the ed sign would not be used.

He said he would double-check with one of his colleagues to enture this
correctness, but he's fairly confident in this answer.

Hope this helps,
Keith