[BRLTTY] Contraction error: Caledonia

Keith Wessel kwessel at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 27 18:14:35 EDT 2007

Lee,

You had me scratching my head over this one, so I visited the North American
Braille Authority's web site to view the literary braille code. Rule 42 B
states that the EA contraction and the double-letter contractions BB, CC,
DD, FF and GG can't be used where the letters are separated by a primary
sylable division. The examples they give include preamble and readjust, but
I believe create fits into the same category.

Rule 34 seems to enforce my father's conclusions in my previous note:
Speaking in general terms about contractions, this rule states that
contractions may be used where the letters of the contraction would overlap
a minor and/or incidental syllable division.

With this said, it seems that a number of pieces of software missed rule 42:
it seems that using theEA sign in create is clearly crossing a primary
sylable division.

Sorry to be such a braille nerd, but I hope this helps.