[BRLTTY] patch for open as a macro

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Aug 28 09:47:37 EDT 2007

Okay ... we'll try to be ready before Semtember 25. I think that should be
possible since the list of pending items that we really want to get in is
short. Please keep us in mind.

Nice to hear that RHEL4&5 have so few problem reports!

Can we discuss with you at some point how to make doing a braille install of
Fedora and RHEL easier? Ideally (as I see it, anyway) the user would just have
to add brltty= (see our Guidelines page) on the installer command line. Even if
he doesn't, perhaps the installer could probe for a USB-connected braille
display. If the installer knows that braille is being used then a few
additional things would help. One would be to write /etc/brltty.conf with the
same parameters used during the install. Another would be to ensure that brltty
is started in the new image before firstboot runs. Another might be to bring up
the installed system in a text console rather than in X.

Another thing that's a significant cause of problems in installers is serial
port probing as, if a serially-connected braille display is being used, that
has been known to often hang the dispaly. It'd be nice for an option to be
added which would suppress that.  There is noprobe, but that suppresses all
probing. An alternative might be to skip over a serial port (any device,
really) which is already open.