[BRLTTY] Alva satellite 570 and usb

Pierre Lorenzon pollock.nageoire at wanadoo.fr
Tue Aug 28 15:39:01 EDT 2007

Hi,

I am not sure that this question really concerns brltty but
anyway maybe somebody can help me !

I try to plug my alva satellite 570 on the usb port and it does
not work.

More precisely when having plugged the braille device and set
the power on with the switch I issue the command :

/sbin/brltty --braille-device=usb -b al

and nothing append. When looking at the kernel log file I find
a message from brltty saying the no /dev/usb can be found. Sure
none exists ! and that's why I suspect that the error does not
come from brltty but perhaps from udev. Indeed when plugging
and switching on the braille display nothin occurs in the /dev
directory and no event is recorded in the hotplug/events
file. However :

1. In the kernel log file there is a message saying that an usb
hub is found.

2. My alva is transparent  ! i.e. when I plug an other usb
device on the usb port of the alva the latter appears corectly,
i.e. is mountable and files which are on it are accessible.

Short system description :

brltty version is 3.7 (sorry for the brltty developpers but I
would not like to upgrade it absolutely since I slightly
customized the key bindings in my brltty and it is a little
work anytime I upgrade it !) But if I should !

Kernel is 2.6.11.12

udev version is 056.

I suspect that a udev rule is missing but which one !

Since now I was using the serial port but it becomes more and
more obsolete and some machines does no longer have serial
ports !

Regards

Pierre