[BRLTTY] Alva satellite 570 and usb

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Aug 28 15:58:25 EDT 2007

[quoted lines by Pierre Lorenzon on 2007/08/28 at 21:39 +0200]

>I try to plug my alva satellite 570 on the usb port and it does
>not work.
>
>More precisely when having plugged the braille device and set
>the power on with the switch I issue the command :
>
>/sbin/brltty --braille-device=usb -b al

You should be specifying "usb:", i.e. there should be a colon after "usb".

>and nothing append. When looking at the kernel log file I find
>a message from brltty saying the no /dev/usb can be found.

Yes, this is because you haven't specified "usb:" for the device. Thd default
device qualifier, for backward compatibility, is "serial:", so, without the
trailing colon, you're actually specifying a serial device named "usb". Please
try adding the colon and let us know what happens.