[BRLTTY] Contraction error: Caledonia

Keith Wessel kwessel at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 28 09:57:34 EDT 2007

Hi, Lee,

I don't disagree with you that I've seen create all over the place using the
ea sign. I do, however, maintain my stance that this is a common braille
error. Very common, as you proved with your stats below. However, would you
disagree that the use of the EA sign in create violates rule 42 by going
over a primary sylable division?

The question becomes do we want to write braille according to the rules or
according to the way things are being written commonly despite the rules?

Incidentally, I called my parents about this one, too. Mom maintains that EA
should not be used in create, while Dad, the previously mentioned expert,
says you can use the EA sign. I just looked up the rule... and would
appreciate if someone could tell me how the primary sylable boundary rule
doesn't apply in this case.

Thanks,
Keith