[BRLTTY] Only question mark characters when running brltty in ppc ubuntu and ppc debian etch

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sun Dec 9 17:45:44 EST 2007

Hey,

Cheryl Homiak, le Sat 08 Dec 2007 21:23:11 -0600, a écrit :
> With both the debian netinst and ubuntu in x86 versions, I have no problem
> with brltty. When using the corresponding cds for the powerpc
> architecture, brltty does start but then gives me nothing but question
> marks.

Ok, I've got some nice debian people to dump me the content of vcsa on a
big endian machine, and it appears that it is stored as big endian, i.e.
the attribute byte before the text byte, which is confirmed by the
source code in Linux: vcs_read() writes short ints, i.e. in the native
order.

Dave, we should hence probably fix the linux screen driver into reading
short ints instead of reading bytes.  I've asked the linux kernel
mailing list for clarification on this.

Mario, the patch that will end up will probably be worth integrating
into the debian package ASAP.

Samuel