[BRLTTY] Filter keyboard keypresses on Linux

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sat Dec 15 18:20:29 EST 2007

Dave Mielke, le Sat 15 Dec 2007 17:39:04 -0500, a écrit :
> [quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2007/12/15 at 22:29 +0100]
>
> >AIUI, what linux currently uses is derived from the HID
> >standard (Human Interface Devices).  So a USB HID device
> >can actually tell the kernel which keys it has.  I guess HID is
> >supported on other platforms as well.
>
> Do you know if the Linux constants are exactly what the HID constants are?

input.h says that most of tem are.

> Do you know if the HID constants are defined in some official place?

On http://www.usb.org/developers/hidpage one can find
http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/Hut1_12.pdf
where they are defined.

> Are there any arguments to help us decide if HID or AT is the better standard
> to go with?

The pdf linked above gives the AT equivalents, and it looks like the
coverage is bigger.  I guess the mere fact that Linux's input layer uses
them instead of the legacy AT-inspired keycode shows that it's a better
way to go :)

Samuel