[BRLTTY] Refreshing problems?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Feb 2 07:27:22 EST 2007

[quoted lines by Mark L. Melonson on 2007/02/01 at 22:08 -0700]

>Attached is bm-flow.patch, If I remember correctly, it was to enforce
>serial flow control.

Yes, it enables hardware flow control. If that doesn't work then the device
clearly doesn't use it.

>To recap... I am using a Brailliant 80, and when I am typing, and I reach
>around the 50th, cell or so, I start getting garbage on the display...
>dots and then cells drop seemingly randomly, as my typing progresses. This
>also occurs when I press type too fast or keep my finger on backspace. It
>also seems to occur when I move from line to line quickly. The problem
>corrects itself if I turn the display off and then back on, but it's very
>tedious when you are knee-deep in code ;).

Yes, I remember now. These are indeed all signs of serial data overruns. Did I
suggest (a few months ago) to try using the -U (uppercase) option of brltty to
specify a slower refresh rate as a test to see if that made the problem go
away? If so, what was the result?

>I hope that helps... I will wait to try tracing until I hear back from
>you, just so we don't end up going down two possibly confusing paths.

Please do go ahead and give it a try.