[BRLTTY] Final release of brltty 3.8?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Feb 15 09:30:06 EST 2007

[quoted lines by hermann on 2007/02/15 at 14:46 +0100]

>a few months ago I asked for a version of brltty, that supports
>Speech-dispatcher.
>I was told to try the version 3.8-dev, available over SVN.
>I have not installed SVN, nore do I know, what's all about with SVN.
>So I ask when brltty 3.8 will be available? Or is there another way to
>get version 3.8-dev?

There are two parts to the answer:

First: Support for Speech Dispatcher was added to brltty some time ago in
response to your request. It'd be nice if you could try it out before 3.8 is
finalized so that any failings in the implementation can get addressed by then.
Waiting for 3.8 to be released before finding any deficiencies, then waiting
for 3.9 to hope that they get fixed properly, waiting for 3.10 for further
fixes, etc, can be a very slow route to getting what you need to work the way
you need it to.

Second: It's taken a while to release 3.8 because we chose this time to touch
up and stabilize the BrlAPI interface since a number of applications are now
using it. I believe we've now reached a point where releasing 3.8 is
appropriate. I just need to now hear from the BrlAPI users regarding whether or
not they agree. The applications I'm particularly referring to are Orca, LSR,
and Gnopernicus, and I'd appreciate it very much if representatives from them
could let me know if they're content with or if they'd like to see further
improvements to BrlAPI and/or BRLTTY.