[BRLTTY] Post 3.8 feature proposal

Yannick PLASSIARD yan at mistigri.org
Mon Feb 26 09:35:16 EST 2007

Hi all,
	I have (as in the subject) a post 3.8 release feature proposal
concerning Speech:
Since BrlTty now supports lots of Speech TTS, and moreover lots of
soft-speech systems (Festival, Ibmtts, Viavoice, Speech-Dispatcher, and
so on), I would like to propose some additions into the Preferences
Menu.
Something Like this:
Enable Speech: Yes or No (already present)
Speech Engine: (to switch from one speech to another at runtime, loading
the corresponding .so file, and so on).
Speech Voice: (each engine can have several voice parametters (male1,
female1, male2, .....) and it would be great to allow switching from
these voices.

In every speech driver, we could have a spk_enumerateVoices() function
which would fill in a string array representing the voice' names, and
even the spoken language.

What do you think about all of this ? (Of course I know that BrlTty is
not (and will not become) a speech-only screen reader, but these
features could be useful).

--
Yannick PLASSIARD
yan at mistigri.org