[BRLTTY] Starting brltty as early as possible.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Jul 2 02:03:51 EDT 2007

The latest brltty (in the repository) can run even though the braille, speech,
and/or screen drivers aren't able to start right away. It just becomes more
functional as the various components come online. This should now allow brltty
to be started as early as right after init, with braille becoming active as
soon as all needed system resources (udev, usbfs, etc) become operational.

Now for my question: For a long time now, in an attempt to deal with the "start
as early as possible" problem, brltty, on Linux, has created the resources it
needed. If a screen or serial device wasn't there yet then brltty would create
it, if usbfs wasn't mounted yet then brltty mounted it, etc. My question is:
Should brltty keep on doing this as well, or should the resource creation code
be considered a past work-around and removed?