[BRLTTY] Starting brltty as early as possible.

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Mon Jul 2 02:28:34 EDT 2007

Hi,

> The latest brltty (in the repository) can run even though the braille, speech,
> and/or screen drivers aren't able to start right away. It just becomes more
> functional as the various components come online. This should now allow brltty
> to be started as early as right after init, with braille becoming active as
> soon as all needed system resources (udev, usbfs, etc) become
> operational.

This is simply great.

> Now for my question: For a long time now, in an attempt to deal with the "start
> as early as possible" problem, brltty, on Linux, has created the resources it
> needed. If a screen or serial device wasn't there yet then brltty would create
> it, if usbfs wasn't mounted yet then brltty mounted it, etc. My question is:
> Should brltty keep on doing this as well, or should the resource creation code
> be considered a past work-around and removed?

I would keep the code, with the possibility to activate it through an
option on the cccommand-line or somewhere in brltty's configuration
file. The ability of brltty to set the system up as needed is precious,
I believe, in contexts like distribution installation, creation of boot
CDs, etc.

Cheers,
Sébastien.