[BRLTTY] Starting brltty as early as possible.

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jul 2 04:23:24 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 08:28:34AM +0200, S?bastien Hinderer wrote:

> I would keep the code, with the possibility to activate it through an
> option on the cccommand-line or somewhere in brltty's configuration
> file. The ability of brltty to set the system up as needed is precious,
> I believe, in contexts like distribution installation, creation of boot
> CDs, etc.

I assume it is also possible to make such a mess of one's system that the
startup scripts won't execute properly and may not mount all of the required
device file systems or initialize what BRLTTY needs. In that case, it could
also be infeasible to reach a shell in any event, so perhaps having BRLTTY
active would only be an advantage in allowing any error messages to be read -
still of considerable benefit.

The resource initialization code is only activated when the required devices
aren't present, so there doesn't seem to be any disadvantage in leaving it
active by default, as it will usually be skipped anyway.

I agree that boot images are the main context in which this code could remain
useful, as well as certain system recovery scenarios as mentioned above.