[BRLTTY] Creating needed but missing resources.

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Jul 6 06:26:02 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 05:53:09AM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:

> I've looked at unmounting on exit and don't believe it's a good idea for at
> least two reasons. The first is that it'd cause confusion if more than one
> brltty is running and they're all using the same directory. The second is that
> there's no underlying facility on most platforms to remove an entry from
> /etc/mtab (at least that's its name on Linux), and coding the removal
> ourselves, while it can be done, is extremely error prone.

The first problem could be solved by searching for other BRLTTY processes
before removing/unmounting the resources, or maybe creating a file (e.g.,
in /var/run) which contains a reference count, such that resources are removed
when this is decremented to 0 by the last remaining BRLTTY process.

As for the second problem, at least on Linux, doesn't umount(2) suffice?

Notwithstanding the above, I agree that this feature may be more difficult to
implement than it is worth. Thus my comments should not be taken as an
argument for implementing it.

> What I was actually asking is how, by option, should the user disable the
> feature if, say, a default directory has been specified at configure time or
> via brltty.conf?

Maybe another command line parameter which ensures that it is turned off.