[BRLTTY] Creating needed but missing resources.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Jul 6 07:08:29 EDT 2007

[quoted lines by Jason White on 2007/07/06 at 20:26 +1000]

>The first problem could be solved by searching for other BRLTTY processes
>before removing/unmounting the resources, or maybe creating a file (e.g.,
>in /var/run) which contains a reference count, such that resources are removed
>when this is decremented to 0 by the last remaining BRLTTY process.

Searching for processes is very unportable, piddling around with locking files
is, in my opinion, needlessly complicated, and, last but not least, kill -KILL
will stop brltty cold in its tracks without giving it an opportunity to clean
up. Then there's the increase in code size, which, in this case, is significant
because one of the main uses for the resource creation feature is boot images.

>As for the second problem, at least on Linux, doesn't umount(2) suffice?

Well, yes, spawning a umount command would do it, and, in fact, would be
portable.

>Notwithstanding the above, I agree that this feature may be more difficult to
>implement than it is worth. Thus my comments should not be taken as an
>argument for implementing it.

That's how I feel about it.