[BRLTTY] Creating needed but missing resources.

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Jul 6 20:27:20 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 07:08:29AM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:

> Searching for processes is very unportable, piddling around with locking files
> is, in my opinion, needlessly complicated, and, last but not least, kill -KILL
> will stop brltty cold in its tracks without giving it an opportunity to clean
> up. Then there's the increase in code size, which, in this case, is significant
> because one of the main uses for the resource creation feature is boot images.

Agreed. Interestingly though, umount(2) under Linux has an optional flag that
only unmounts the file system if it is not busy. However, as a Linux-specific
feature this is highly non-portable, and thus it doesn't alter your conclusion
above.

> >Notwithstanding the above, I agree that this feature may be more difficult to
> >implement than it is worth. Thus my comments should not be taken as an
> >argument for implementing it.
>
> That's how I feel about it.

So do I. I wouldn't feel that way if Linux were the only relevant platform, as
I would then investigate umount(2).