[BRLTTY] Running brltty under Windows (was: 3.8 has now been released.)

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Mon Jun 4 12:20:08 EDT 2007

Talksina asked how to run brltty under Windows.

As of now you have to compile brltty and this requires a Unix-like system
that runs under Windows. There are two of these available that I know of:
Cygwin (www.cygwin.com) and MinGW/Msys which I don't know much about.

To install Cygwin, go to cygwin.com, read the comments there and then
download setup.exe. This installer looks horrible at first sight. If you use
Jaws as your Windows screen reader it's difficult but usable. I didn't have
luck with WindowEyes as my screen reader but I know next to nothing about
WindowEyes and assume someone with more familiarity with it could make it
work.

In either case, you want to start with the defaults anyway which is
relatively easy. Just make the few choices and hit Enter everywhere until
you get to the list of mirror sites. Select several of these, then hit Enter
a couple more times and you end up with a basic, small Linux system that
runs under Windows. You can use your screen reader's speech and braille to
read it.

In order to compile brltty you'll need some additional components. If you
have a spare 2 GB or so of disk space you can just install everything. This
is covered in the Cygwin user's guide, or holler if you need more help. If
you don't have that luxury you need to choose components. This is where the
Cygwin installer gets - interesting. It can be done though so don't give up;
ask here on or off list.

Once you've built and installed brltty under Cygwin you can use it for
Cygwin and for the DOS box.

Hope this helps and hasn't included too many mistakes :-),

--
Lee Maschmeyer
<lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu>

"Be kind to your fur-bearing friends,