[BRLTTY] Kernel 2.6.21 USB issues

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Jun 5 23:44:18 EDT 2007

Has anyone else been experiencing problems with the latest Debian (or other)
2.6.21 kernel and BRLTTY uSB support?

I've tried this with the most recent SVN revision, but problems persist.

On boot, BRLTTY eventually claims the USB device and works, usually much later
in the boot sequence than it used to be.

However, if I kill brltty and restart, it never acquires the USB device and
thus hangs during the initialization process. I investigated with gdb several
times; at one point it was evidently in usbSearchDevice(), which also points
to USB problems.

While playing with this I managed accidentally to have several BRLTTY
instances running, which produced lots of errors in syslog regarding USB
transfer errors and the device not being claimed before use.

Is this a kernel bug or has something changed in recent kernels that will
require adaptation of the BRLTTY Linux USB code?