[BRLTTY] Are USB product ids hard coded in BRLTTY

Elias Oltmanns eo at nebensachen.de
Fri Jun 8 15:21:03 EDT 2007

Hi all,

because there is no serial port on my computer, I hlve to connect my
old Handytech Modular 40 by means of a prolific usb-serial converter.
Sadly, brltty doesn't find the braille device searching the usb bus,
regardless whether pl2303 (the kernel module for teh prolific
usb-serial converter) is loaded or not. Loading pl2303 and accessing
the braille device thgough the serial interface /dev/ttyUSB?, however,
works perfectly well. The reason why I'd like to use the usb interface
rather than the serial interface is that the braille device is not
guaranteed to show up as ttyUSB0 all the time due to race conditions
and similar issues. It works most of the time and if there really is
no way to use the usb interface of brltty in this case, a bit of
slightly more sophisticated udev scripting will very likely do the
job. Still, I thought I'd ask first.

Now, just for the fun of it, I tried to connect my Braille Star using
that very same prolific usb-serial converter rather than its internal
FTDI connector. Its behaviour was exactly the same as described above.
This made me ask the question in the subject line, i.e., whether the
vendor and product id of the internal FTDI converter is hard coded
somewhere in the Handytech driver so brltty doesn't even bother
probing the prolific device for a Handytech braille display.

Regars,

Elias