[BRLTTY] brltty 3.8

Martina Weicht weicht at it-science-center.de
Mon Jun 11 08:33:16 EDT 2007

Hello,

after doubting whether Braillex slim line displays were supported by
brltty yet (and asking about it on the Orca mailing list), we succeeded
in getting it running using brltty 3.8.

We uninstalled brltty 3.7.2 from our Ubuntu Feisty Fawn installation,
then pretty much stuck to the instructions given at
http://live.gnome.org/Orca/Braille for installing brltty, but also
installed python-all-dev, libbrlapi1-dev, and python-orca-brlapi-dbg
packages.

We also used "brltty -t de" rather than "/bin/brltty -bauto
-d/dev/ttyUSB0" to run brltty.
The latter only produces what seems to be uncontrolled output, rapidly
switching between the standard message (Braillex EL 2D-80s Rev 124) and
a mess of special characters (|, @,...).

Unfortunately we still need to restart brltty every time after startup
and with both braille displays (The other one is a HandyTech Braille
Star 40) using:
sudo killall brltty
sudo brltty -t de
Why is that?

One more thing: Does brltty support the use of the vertical display?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
Martina

--
Martina Weicht

IT Science Center Rügen gGmbH
Circus 14
D-18581 Putbus

Telefon: +49(0)38301 8829-65
Fax:	+49(0)38301 8829-59
E-mail:	weicht at it-science-center.de
Web: 	www.it-science-center.de

Geschäftsführer Dipl.-Ing. Ernst Schulte
Handelsregister Amtsgericht Stralsund HRB 6227
USt-Ident-Nummer: DE 244660253