[BRLTTY] Fedora core 7 & brltty 3.8

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Jun 15 07:38:25 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 08:39:16AM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:

> So, when the patch was applied, you were getting the log each time you started
> brltty, or was it just the first time?

It was each time, including after powering down and restarting the display.

> >With the patch removed and the power/autosuspend configuration changed, BRLTTY
> >starts normally, with no warning logs.
>
> Did you make sure the device was in the "bad" state so othat we know, without
> the reset, that brltty can still recover and use the device?

I think so but I'll play with a few more scenarios and report back.

> i suspect the purpose behind this feature is to conserve power so we should
> probably only override it for devices known to have the problem.
>
> What happens, by the way, if you leave the device idle and it powers itself
> down after the timeout? Does brltty have trouble restarting it then too?

Yes. In fact, what happens is that if you power down the device, it wakes up
within a few seconds and returns to the firmware menu. BRLTTY keeps trying to
connect but never gets packets in response. What this means is that the device
won't stay powered down as long as BRLTTY is running.

> It's possible there's an even better way to deal with this problem, but,
> without direct access to a Brailliant or SuperVario, it's kind of hard for me
> to experiment.

Yes, I know that makes it difficult.