[BRLTTY] Fedora core 7 & brltty 3.8

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Jun 15 08:39:16 EDT 2007

[quoted lines by Jason White on 2007/06/15 at 16:08 +1000]

>the reset messages were entirely due to the usbResetDevice() call in your
>patch.

So, when the patch was applied, you were getting the log each time you started
brltty, or was it just the first time?

>With the patch removed and the power/autosuspend configuration changed, BRLTTY
>starts normally, with no warning logs.

Did you make sure the device was in the "bad" state so othat we know, without
the reset, that brltty can still recover and use the device?

>I suppose the next step is to write a function that test for the
>power/autosuspend file before opening the USB device, and turns off
>autosuspend if that file is found - unless there's an API call that has the
>same effect.

Yes, we'll find some clean way to add this functionality to the code now.

>Would you call it just from drivers for devices known to have this issue, or
>implement it across the board? I think I would favour the first option.

i suspect the purpose behind this feature is to conserve power so we should
probably only override it for devices known to have the problem.

What happens, by the way, if you leave the device idle and it powers itself
down after the timeout? Does brltty have trouble restarting it then too?

It's possible there's an even better way to deal with this problem, but,
without direct access to a Brailliant or SuperVario, it's kind of hard for me
to experiment.

Would users of other (non-Baum) USB braille displays who've used a Debian or
Fedora 2.6.21 kernel please confirm if they do or don't have a problem?