[BRLTTY] Braille keyboard layout

Nicolas Pitre nico at cam.org
Sun Jun 17 21:35:45 EDT 2007

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, Sébastien Hinderer wrote:

> To sum up: I believe that if the "go to next window" button is located at
> the end (right) of the braille window, I am less efficient in reading
> than when it is placed at the left (beginning) of the braille window.
> The explanation, according to me, is that the latter disposition allows
> a more balanced used of the indexes, whereas the former one leads to the
> left index being underused. Or perhaps it is a matter of being able to
> do things simultaneously or not:  with the key at the left, the wto
> fingers can do things in parallel (the right one reads while the left
> one goes back to the key), whereas with the key at the right, reading
> and finding the key have to be done sequencially.

That makes some sense, although I fear I personally would find such a
configuration rather impossible to use.  My primary use for a braille
display is to read (and write) source code.  So I end up going back and
forth in both direction rather often, probably much more than
continuously reading the next window.  If the next and prev window keys
were not to be oriented with the actual movement of the braille window I
think it would be much more confusing.

Nicolas