[BRLTTY] Braille keyboard layout

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jun 18 04:54:48 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 08:58:20AM +0200, S?bastien Hinderer wrote:

> The orientation of the keys was preserved on the keyboard I was talking
> about: simply, both previous and next window keys were located at the
> beginning of the display. Thus, the layout was as follows, from left to
> right:
> previous windor, next window, braille display
> (everything aligned).

I don't like that layout, but it's largely a matter of personal preference and
usage patterns.

The BAum DOS configuration software that I mentioned allowed all of the
mappings of software functions to braille display keys to be configured. The
optical sensors (equivalent to routing buttons) could be mapped to functions
in groups of ten, or used for cursor routing or attribute display.

In BRLTTY, the relationship between controls on the device and functions of
the software is hard coded into the driver. It would be a large change to make
this configurable and would involve quite a lot of work, but if anyone really
wants it and has the time to write it properly, then by all means go ahead.

I'm sure different BRLTTY users have different priorities regarding what kind
of development they would find most beneficial. I think UTF8 support should be
a significant priority, and it has been discussed here previously as a post
3.8 possibility.