[BRLTTY] Braille Display Barrier (was: Re: Braille keyboard layout)

Boris Boris.Daix at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 11:06:22 EDT 2007

Hello Samuel, hello the list,

That is it: "at some time _both_ the end of the previous line for the
right hand, and the start of the next line for the left hand" with a
little s/line/window so that it is even faster.

In other words, what I propose is being able to move the "horizon"
where my fingers are not: either at the end when my fingers are
together arround the middle of the display, or arround the middle when
my fingers are at each side of the display.

Samuel, as you caught my point, have you an idea of the amount of work
to implement the BD barrier in BRLTTY or BRLAPI?

This will next open the door to accelerated Braille reading
techniques, where you just read some parts of words and get a quick
overview of what is written.  But this will be my next shot.

Thanks,

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> writes:

> Dave Mielke, le Mon 18 Jun 2007 09:31:25 -0400, a écrit :
>
>> For reading, I like displays with long thumb-operated keys. As I near
>> the end of a line I start moving my left index finger to the left,
>> usually timing it so that it gets there just as my right index finger
>> is reading the last character. At that same moment a quick touch of my
>> thumb allows me to just keep on reading.
>
> Ok, but the keypoint was to be able to have at some time _both_ the end
> of the previous line for the right hand, and the start of the next line
> for the left hand.  If for instance you have troubles reading a word
> that crosses that boundary (because it is a techincal one, for
> instance), being able to have both pieces at the same time would
> probably help a lot.
>
> Samuel

Boris Daix