[BRLTTY] "Can't access console"

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Wed Nov 7 07:46:56 EST 2007

Hi.

I am getting the message from the subject if
I launch brltty from the initramfs (very early, before init is launched)
when I switch away from console 1 to something else (like 2, or 7).

If I restart brltty after runlevel 2 started up completely,
I can again switch to consoles other than 1.  Additionally, cursor
routing does not work either, it immediately answers with the "failed" beep sequence.

I guess this is because some device did not exist in my /dev hierarchy
while brltty was started first.  Is this right?
Can we perhaps fix this such that brltty does not need to be restarted?
And, what device could I have been missing?

Additionally, when I start a brlapi client, it can not
connect to brltty if it was started from initramfs, I also
have to restart brltty to make brlapi clients work.
Maybe this is related to the first issue, or not.

--
Any help would be appreciated,
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'