[BRLTTY] "Can't access console"

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Nov 7 08:13:25 EST 2007

[quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2007/11/07 at 13:46 +0100]

>I guess this is because some device did not exist in my /dev hierarchy
>while brltty was started first.  Is this right?

Yes, it would be.

>Can we perhaps fix this such that brltty does not need to be restarted?

That depends on why brltty needs to be restarted. I don't really understand
initramfs, but the problem is probably that brltty is running under a different
root than later so it has a different /dev than later. The missing devices
probably never get created within the root file system where brltty is started.

>And, what device could I have been missing?

vcsa<n> and tty<n>

Note that brltty does try to create them within the writable directory but it
won't be able to if that directory either doesn't exist or isn't writable.

>Additionally, when I start a brlapi client, it can not
>connect to brltty if it was started from initramfs, I also
>have to restart brltty to make brlapi clients work.
>Maybe this is related to the first issue, or not.

Probably, again, because the socket file is created within a different root
file system. Perhaps using a tcp socket instead would get around this one.