[BRLTTY] redhat enterprise linux

Rimkus, Robert W Robert.W.Rimkus at usa-spaceops.com
Tue Nov 27 08:15:11 EST 2007

Hurst Wrote:

>Put it this way, Debian 4.0 etch includes gnome 2.14. I think that says a
>lot and gives some insight to how outdated all other packages are. I just
>want to install it and run it in command line, no desktops or anything.

Get it installed and bring it up.  Go into the /etc/inittab and look for the line that begins with the characters 'id:5', there will be more after that but
there is only one line like that.

Change the digit five to the digit three and save.  Then type 'init 3' on the command line.

That will put you in runlevel 3 which does not support X and next time you boot it will bring you to a login prompt on the console.  You will live happily
ever after in a command line environment.

But what is this orca?  It seems as though that gives us access to X Windows.  When I look around me at work, most everyone is using some sort of GUI.

Shouldn't we all be scrambling towards GUIs like the rest of the lemmings?

I would certainly like to have a dependable, reliable, stable interface to X Windows like I do to the command line.  I had better check it out and find out
for myself.

bob