[BRLTTY] Problem with brltty in ppc debian after installation

Cheryl Homiak chomiak7737 at att.net
Tue Apr 22 11:13:55 EDT 2008

I was finally able to run the install; each time a file failed to download
or I was given the message about the kernel modules not being found, I moved
on to another mirror and finally everything downloaded and the installation
appears to be successful. I say "appears" because I can't read anything.
While the brltty in the install was fixed, the brltty installed before
booting into the system is still a brltty with the problem that was fixed in
the installer. So linux appears to start, brltty starts, and I get the
unreadable characters; then when Xwindows starts I get "screen not in text
mode" and when I change over to a text console, of course I get those
characters again. I hoped I could ssh in and fix the problem by installing
the necessary programs to get the new version via subversion, but ssh either
isn't turned on or the package isn't yet installed; it's pretty hard to try
to run apt-get when you can't read the screen. I tried going back to the
install cd and typing "rescue" instead of install; I got the same
preliminaries, however, as for an install; I was able to execute a shell but
since i'd gotten the error again about the kernel modules, /target wasn't
mounted; maybe I can try it again later today and work around with the
mirrors like I did yesterday; I really would prefer not to have to install
again if I can find some other way to fix this. Any suggestions would be
welcomed!!! However, the bottom line is: the brltty package that is
installed to be used after installation has to be fixed too or anybody
trying to use brlltty in debian with ppc architecture is going to be unable
to work with the installation after reboot.

I do appreciate the work that has been done on this and I was thrilled to be
able at least to get the install done; I do now have a dual boot on my Mac
Mini that works, but I'd like to be able to work with it now that it's
installed.

--

Cheryl

"Where your treasure is,