[BRLTTY] Braille tables versus contraction tables.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Apr 23 22:40:48 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2008/04/23 at 22:27 -0400]

>What is there to gain by doing so?

I suspect that their inherent limitation of one braille cell per character will
eventually become frustrating. My guess, and that's all it is, is that users
will eventually want single-cell representations for their own language's
characters plus special ones like box boundaries, but that they'll also
probably want multi-cell characters for reading those foreign languages that
they also use.

>Note that I think that text tables should indeed be UTF-8 based.  But
>their simplicity and obviousness is worth keeping around I would say,

A basic contraction table full of only "always" statements is just as simple
and obvious.

>especially if contracted braille can be configured out to slim down the
>BRLTTY binary.

Yes, but how necessary is that these days. We're no longer into trying to force
brltty onto an already crammed floppy with next to no run-time libraries.