[BRLTTY] Braille tables versus contraction tables.

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Wed Apr 23 23:45:48 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:40:48PM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> I suspect that their inherent limitation of one braille cell per character will
> eventually become frustrating. My guess, and that's all it is, is that users
> will eventually want single-cell representations for their own language's
> characters plus special ones like box boundaries, but that they'll also
> probably want multi-cell characters for reading those foreign languages that
> they also use.

They'll probably want single-cell representations of the ASCII set for
purposes of working at the console or editing source code. This does not have
to be the same table as that which represents their preferred natural language
however.

When reading text, I activate Grade II braille, as it is considerably faster
to read in this form. While editing, I tend to switch between eight-dot
braille in the current text table and contracted braille, since cursor routing
is more accurate, for obvious reasons, in uncontracted mode.