[BRLTTY] Braille tables versus contraction tables.

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Fri Apr 25 23:24:15 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 05:16:26PM +0200, Mario Lang wrote:

> FWIW, I've always found it a bit strange that the toggle for contraction
> table usage was 6-dot braille.  While it kind of makes sense after some
> thought, it still feels a bit strange.  If we switch all of the normal
> text tables over to the contraction table system, we could select
> between contracted and uncontracted braille just by selecting
> the appropriate table, which does seem a bit more logical than the 6-dot hack.

I would suggest adding a command that allows tables to be selected quickly,
to avoid having to enter the preferences menu. I switch between contracted and
uncontracted braille frequently, and having to do this via a menu would be a
real slow-down.

Ideally, the command would allow the user to switch among three or more
tables, perhaps by displaying abbreviations of table names and allowing the
user to select one with the routing buttons of the display.

Better ideas are welcome, of course.