[BRLTTY] Braille tables versus contraction tables.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Apr 26 10:58:19 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2008/04/25 at 17:16 +0200]

>FWIW, I've always found it a bit strange that the toggle for contraction
>table usage was 6-dot braille.

The reason for that was to immediately make contracted braille available to all
users without searching for a new binding in each driver. If we go to just
using contraction tables then that toggle can go back to really being for
six-dot braille.

>If we switch all of the normal text tables over to the contraction table
>system, we could select between contracted and uncontracted braille just by
>selecting the appropriate table, which does seem a bit more logical than the
>6-dot hack.

In a way, though, that'd be less user friendly as scrolling througha long list
of tables is much harder than pressing a key combination.

>I think if we switch over to the contraction table system for
>normal text tables, the "one character per cell" idiom has to
>be preserved, otherwise I totally oppose this change.  Its nice to
>be able to define contractions if you need them, but I think
>preserving the layout of the characters on-screen is pretty vital to
>many current users, me included.

The idea would be to have tables which implement the one-to-one mappings plus
others which include those and add contractions.