[BRLTTY] usb to serial problems

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sat Apr 26 08:33:54 EDT 2008

Jason White <jason at jasonjgw.net> writes:

> If, as I suspect, it is writing to the correct device, there may be a kernel
> issue.

I've also seen usb-to-serial adaptors that did not fully support
the serial port standard -- which do not work with certain serial braille
displays (I think it was something related to the RTS/CTS lines, but
I might be forgetting things[1]).
If you can, try to swap your serial adaptor with another brand, as a last
resort.

[1] I've been using serial ports back in the old days where
BBS (Bulletin-Board-Systems) and FidoNet were still alive and well.
I once knew most of the AT command set by heart, and many
strange facts about serial lines.  Apparently, this knowledge
is going down the drain by not being used anymore, probably for the better.
Serial ports can be a real PITA, especially when it comes
to finding the right cable for a particular task.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'