[BRLTTY] usb to serial problems

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Apr 28 09:43:57 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Daniel Dalton on 2008/04/28 at 21:41 +1000]

>Yes, I have an adapter. Is that what you mean? Or should I return the
>cable?

You need to know what kind of adapter you have (straight-through or
cross-over), and you also need to know what kind of cable you have
(straight-through or cross-over). You also need to know if both the adapter and
cable support all nine serial lines. Note that another term for cross-over is
null-modem.

>brltty: checking braille device: serial:ttyUSB0
>brltty: checking for braille driver: bn
>brltty: initializing braille driver: bn -> serial:ttyUSB0
>brltty: serial device opened: /dev/ttyUSB0: fd=8
>brltty: timeout after 100 milliseconds
>brltty: braille driver initialization failed: bn -> serial:ttyUSB0
>brltty: braille driver not found

This is what's expected since we know the braille display isn't on ttyUSB0.
Whatever is there, which may be nothing at all, didn't respond to the
BrailleNote probe, hence the timeout.

>brltty: checking braille device: serial:ttyUSB1
>brltty: checking for braille driver: bn
>brltty: initializing braille driver: bn -> serial:ttyUSB1
>brltty: cannot open serial device: /dev/ttyUSB1: No such file or directory
>brltty: braille driver initialization failed: bn -> serial:ttyUSB1
>brltty: braille driver not found

This error, "no such file or directory", means that the path "/dev/ttyUSB1"
didn't exist. I take this to mean that the adapter wasn't cconnected at the
time. Please make sure it exists and then rerun brltty in the same way to get
all the logs. No need to retry ttyUSB0.