[BRLTTY] usb to serial problems

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 28 18:19:57 EDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Dave Mielke wrote:

> You need to know what kind of adapter you have (straight-through or
> cross-over), and you also need to know what kind of cable you have
> (straight-through or cross-over). You also need to know if both the adapter and
> cable support all nine serial lines. Note that another term for cross-over is
> null-modem.

OK, so this is confusing me, what should I ask for next time I go to the
shop?
Or do you have a model and a brand of a cable that works with the braille
note and brltty that I could buy off ebay?

>> brltty: checking braille device: serial:ttyUSB0
>> brltty: checking for braille driver: bn
>> brltty: initializing braille driver: bn -> serial:ttyUSB0
>> brltty: serial device opened: /dev/ttyUSB0: fd=8
>> brltty: timeout after 100 milliseconds
>> brltty: braille driver initialization failed: bn -> serial:ttyUSB0
>> brltty: braille driver not found
>
> This is what's expected since we know the braille display isn't on ttyUSB0.

Sorry, it must have changed and I didn't say.
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3 usb 1-1:
configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice pl2303 1-1:1.0: ch341-uart converter
detected usb 1-1: ch341-uart converter now attached to ttyUSB0

Here is a log for ttyUSB1 as well...

BRLTTY 3.10dev rev 3678 [http://mielke.cc/brltty/]
brltty: Working Directory: /etc/brltty
brltty: Writable Directory: /lib/brltty/rw
brltty: Configuration File: /etc/brltty.conf
brltty: Data Directory: /etc/brltty
brltty: Library Directory: /lib/brltty
brltty: Tables Directory: /etc/brltty
brltty: cannot open file: /etc/brltty/text.en_us.tbl: No such file or directory
brltty: /etc/brltty/text.en_us.tbl: open error: No such file or directory
brltty: cannot load translation table: text.en_us.tbl
brltty: Text Table: text.nabcc.tbl
brltty: Attributes Table: attributes.tbl
brltty: Contractions Directory: /etc/brltty
brltty: compiling contraction table: en-uebc-g2.ctb
brltty: Including contraction table: /etc/brltty/en-uebc-g2.ctb
brltty: file opened: /etc/brltty/en-uebc-g2.ctb fd=3
brltty: Contraction Table: en-uebc-g2.ctb
brltty: checking for screen driver: lx
brltty: initializing screen driver: lx
brltty: device directory: /dev
brltty: checking screen device: /dev/vcsa
brltty: screen device: vcsa
brltty: checking console device: /dev/tty0
brltty: console device: tty0
brltty: device opened: /dev/vcsa: fd=3
brltty: screen opened: vcsa: fd=3
brltty: device opened: /dev/tty0: fd=4
brltty: console opened: tty0: fd=4
brltty: Screen Font Map Size: 266
brltty: VGA Character Count: 256(small)
brltty: attributes masks: font=0000 unshifted=FF00 shifted=0000
brltty: Screen Driver: lx [Linux]
brltty: Linux Screen Driver:
brltty: Screen Parameter: charset=
brltty: Screen Parameter: hfb=
brltty: Screen Parameter: debugsfm=
brltty: BrlAPI Server: release 0.5.1
brltty: API Parameter: auth=
brltty: API Parameter: host=
brltty: API Parameter: stacksize=
brltty: socket 0 established (fd 5)
brltty: socket 1 established (fd 6)
brltty: exit status: 1
brltty: kernel module not installed: pcspkr
brltty: Console opened: fd=7
brltty: checking braille device: serial:ttyUSB1
brltty: checking for braille driver: bn
brltty: initializing braille driver: bn -> serial:ttyUSB1
brltty: cannot open serial device: /dev/ttyUSB1: No such file or directory
brltty: braille driver initialization failed: bn -> serial:ttyUSB1
brltty: braille driver not found
brltty: Braille Display Dimensions: 1 row, 80 columns
brltty: shifts: fwin=80 hwin=40 vwin=5
brltty: checking for speech driver: sd
brltty: initializing speech driver: sd
brltty: Speech Driver: sd [SpeechDispatcher]
brltty: SpeechDispatcher Speech Driver:
brltty: Speech Parameter: port=
brltty: Speech Parameter: module=
brltty: Speech Parameter: language=
brltty: Speech Parameter: voice=
brltty: setting speech rate: 10
brltty: set rate: 10 -> 0
brltty: setting speech volume: 10
brltty: set volume: 10 -> 0
brltty: setting speech pitch: 10
brltty: set pitch: 10 -> 0
brltty: setting speech punctuation: 1
brltty: set punctuation: 1 -> 2
brltty: Speech FIFO: none
[...]
brltty: console closed: fd=4
brltty: screen closed: fd=3

Also ran after a killall, so here is ttyUSB0 again:

[...]
brltty: linking local socket lock: File exists
[...]
brltty: serial device opened: /dev/ttyUSB0: fd=9
brltty: timeout after 100 milliseconds
brltty: braille driver initialization failed: bn -> serial:ttyUSB0
brltty: braille driver not found
brltty: Braille Display Dimensions: 1 row, 80 columns
brltty: shifts: fwin=80 hwin=40 vwin=5
brltty: checking braille device: serial:ttyUSB0
brltty: checking for braille driver: bn
brltty: initializing braille driver: bn -> serial:ttyUSB0
brltty: serial device opened: /dev/ttyUSB0: fd=9
brltty: timeout after 100 milliseconds
brltty: braille driver initialization failed: bn -> serial:ttyUSB0
brltty: braille driver not found
brltty: Braille Display Dimensions: 1 row, 80 columns
brltty: shifts: fwin=80 hwin=40 vwin=5
brltty: device opened: /dev/tty0: fd=9
brltty: console opened: tty0: fd=9
brltty: console closed: fd=4
brltty: Screen Font Map Size: 266
brltty: VGA Character Count: 256(small)
brltty: attributes masks: font=0000 unshifted=FF00 shifted=0000
brltty: checking braille device: serial:ttyUSB0
brltty: checking for braille driver: bn
brltty: initializing braille driver: bn -> serial:ttyUSB0
brltty: serial device opened: /dev/ttyUSB0: fd=4
[...]
brltty: console closed: fd=9
[...]

Thanks for your help,

--
Daniel Dalton