[BRLTTY] 3.10

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Apr 29 00:47:17 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Sérgio Neves on 2008/04/29 at 05:30 +0100]

>In March, on speech-dispatcher thread, I've sent a message to the list
>asking if it's feasible to implement a feature on brltty.
>http://mielke.cc/pipermail/brltty/2008-March/003491.html, but, with so much
>messages, maybe you haven't  seen it.

You're close. Now I do remember it, but I forgot about it.

>Could you analyse and say if it's complicated to implement or not, or even
>say if it's making any sense or not?

Yes, it makes sense and is possible. I don't use speech at all so speech ideas
need to be explained to me as I don't always intuitively understand them. In
braille I achieve the equivalent functionality by "go to previous prompt" and
then reading downward.

Since brltty reviews the screen content passively, the difficult part will
likely be to get it to understand the difference between just moving the cursor
downward (like you might do within an editor) versus writing new characters
which, as a side-effect, moves the cursor down (as is the case when a command
is invoked). I'll think about it.