[BRLTTY] usb to serial problems

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Apr 29 08:55:48 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Daniel Dalton on 2008/04/29 at 17:45 +1000]

>> Didn't the BrailleNote come with a serial cable?
>
>It did, that is what I have been using with ttyS0, but how does that help
>with a usb to serial connection?

Because it's performing the very same function.

I'm confused, though. If you're using the cable that came with the BrailleNote,
and if the converter has a male serial port on it just like a PC with a serial
port would have, then why do you need the adapter? Please put together a full
list of all serial ports (on the converter, on the BrailleNote), and of all the
connectors (the two ends of the cable and both sides of the adapter), stating
which are male and which are female.

>So, brltty or linux actually recognises my cable is connected

No. The kernel can't tell whether or not a serial cable or device is connected.
All it can tell is that the UART is present, indicating that the port exists
and has been enabled and configured. Beyond that, based on the modem and/or
flow control settings of the device, it may make certain assumptions but that's
all it can do.