[BRLTTY] usb to serial problems

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 30 06:06:09 EDT 2008

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Daniel Dalton on 2008/04/29 at 17:45 +1000]
>
>>> Didn't the BrailleNote come with a serial cable?
>>
>> It did, that is what I have been using with ttyS0, but how does that help
>> with a usb to serial connection?
>
> Because it's performing the very same function.
>
> I'm confused, though. If you're using the cable that came with the BrailleNote,
> and if the converter has a male serial port on it just like a PC with a serial
> port would have, then why do you need the adapter? Please put together a full

Well, I'm currently trying to get it working on my old box with a serial
port, since when my new box is up and running it won't have a standard
serial port on it.
Therefore a usb to serial is required.

> list of all serial ports (on the converter, on the BrailleNote), and of all the
> connectors (the two ends of the cable and both sides of the adapter), stating
> which are male and which are female.

Braille note serial: male
Serial end of usb_to_serial cable: male
USB end of cable: standard usb connection
Adapter: Both ends female to connect the two males together (to connect
the male on braille note to male on serial_to_usb cable)

> and has been enabled and configured. Beyond that, based on the modem and/or
> flow control settings of the device, it may make certain assumptions but that's
> all it can do.

So am I better off finding an add on ebay and asking you guys if it will
work?
Or is there still a way I could get my cable working?

Thanks,

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/