[BRLTTY] usb to serial problems

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Wed Apr 30 06:36:41 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:06:09PM +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:

> Braille note serial: male
> Serial end of usb_to_serial cable: male
> USB end of cable: standard usb connection
> Adapter: Both ends female to connect the two males together (to connect
> the male on braille note to male on serial_to_usb cable)

Is it a null modem adapter or just a straight-through adapter? the same
question applies to the cable. This is where it gets tricky: you might have to
ask someone whether anything indicative is written on the adapter or the
cable.

>From the lsusb output and the fact that the kernel reports the USB to serial
converter as ttyUSB0, it appears that the driver is detecting and initializing
it correctly. This clears up part of the mystery.

When you run brltty -e -l debug -b bn -d ttyUSB0 are you still getting a
timeout as before? If you are, the issues that Dave raised about wiring become
relevant and we'll have to sort those out.