[BRLTTY] Six-dot braille without contractions

Hermann meinelisten at onlinehome.de
Mon Dec 1 14:55:28 EST 2008

On 01.12.2008 19:26, Lee Maschmeyer wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> One of the things most often requested is a way to turn on 6-dot mode
> without turning on contractions. The thing that always gets in the way is
> the difficulty of defining a new keystroke for every single braille display.
>
> So, here are two ideas, probably in reverse order of desirability:
>
> 1. How about turning the 6-dot mode toggle into a round-robin: 8-dot
> computer braille, 6-dot computer braille, contracted braille, and back to
> the beginning. The starting-point of the round robin would be the present
> mode. In other words, if you're in 6-dot computer braille, the first press
> would get contracted braille.
>
> This means that it would always be in the way for going from a mode to one
> of the others, but at least it'd give us a new choice.
>
> Or,
>
> 2. Push it once to toggle between 8-dot and contracted mode, the way it
> works now. Push it twice quickly to go from 8-dot to 6-dot computer braille
> or vice versa. Since 6-dot computer braille is probably the thing most
> people would want least often, giving it two key presses wouldn't be that
> much of a pain, and it wouldn't be in the way when switching into and out of
> contracted braille.

And there's a third posibility: One can use grade2 conbined with
8-dot-braille, for example see Jaws:
When grade2 is selected, it shows characters in 6-dot-style, while the
word under the cursor is shown in 8-dot-computer-braile.
And BTW. we can solve the problem brought up by Mario: How to deal with
the capitalisazion sign.
Disadvantage: We would have to completely redesign our braille tables.
Hermann